Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Anxious

Well, the count down is on again!  I cannot wait for this Friday to be over and done with so we can move forward.  It seems as if the time has drug on and on these last two weeks.  I am so scared that she will catch another cold between now and Friday that I am starting to worry too much and think too much about everything! 

When we were at Mayo on 03.15.11 and met with Dr Clay, he gave us some additional information that we did not know until then.  After looking at Livie again and now that she is older, he told us that she will need to wear a helmet.  She will be fitted for a helmet when we take her for her 6 week check-up.  From the fusing her head is very mishapen in the back and we are hoping to be able to correct it a little more with the helmet!  I will have to get some be-dazzlers so I can pretty it up a little bit!  She will also have to go through physical therapy.  She favors one eye more than the other which is also caused by the fusing.  So we need to retrain her muscles in her neck, so her head will not be titled to one side when she looks at us anymore.  Then, last but not least she will need to see an opthamologist to make sure that there is no damage to her vision.  Dr Clay did state that it would be an easy procedure if anything needed to be done. 

I have once again not been the nicest person in the world.  My husband is driving me crazy and I am sure that I am driving him crazy as well.  Thankfully Mike hasn't done anything for me to be upset or angry about, it is just all the stress and tension building up!  When that happens and I need a slap back into reality I will often turn to Joyce Meyer on late night TV, (9pm CST).  I am almost embarassed to call 9pm late!  If you know who I am talking about she is definitely a no nonsense lady and tells it like it is.  She normally gets the job done for me!  At 9:30pm I then like to watch, Joel Osteen.  They both have such wonderful messages and I really enjoy them! 

As I was laying in bed, crabby one night also feeling sorry for myself I decided to turn on Joel Osteen.  His message was wonderful that night and it has stuck with me for almost a week and I want to share it with you. 

A bunch of people were standing in line waiting to check out at a busy grocery store and the girl at the check out was obviously having a bad day.  The lines were getting long and people were getting impatient about having to wait.  Price checks were having to be called and she was starting to be rude to the customers and in turn the customers were being rude back to her.  The way that she was treating the customer and the way the customer was treating her was not right and should have been handled differently but, it wasn't.  As Joel made his way up the line and it was his turn he told the girl that everything was going to be ok and soon things would not be so busy and if she could make it through this she would be ok.  She looked at him at this point with tears streaming down her face and told him that her baby was in the hospital.  She couldn't be there with her because her husband had lost his job and she needed to work, they needed the money.  She didn't know what to do and she was trying her hardest to make things work for her family but really wanted to be with her baby at the hospital.  Joel took her hands and they prayed together right there in line at the grocery store.  People behind him hugged her and gave her money to help her situation.  When people knew her story they pulled together and wanted to help her.  Their perception of her changed.

The people in line behind Joel in the grocery store were getting fed up with the girl at the check out until they heard her story.  Their perception of her changed.  Unless you have walked in a person's shoes don't pass judgement against them.  Ask them about their story.  Where did you come from?  What brought you here today? 

This led me to start thinking of people in my past who I wish I would have taken the time to know.  One of them was Jim Stearns.  As little kids and growing up we made fun of him.  We all did.  Now I wish that I would have taken the time to ask him about his story.  I had no idea that he was as involved in the church as he was.  I didn't know that he really didn't have a family.  I really wish that I would have been one of the individuals who had been nice to him and taken the time to talk with him.  Unfortunately, I will not have the chance to ask him his story as I just read it the other day in the obituaries. 

Maybe if we can instill this in our children there will be less bullying.  Maybe if we have our children want to get to know others and learn about other people and situations they will be more empathetic.  Instead of making fun of Bobby because he wears the same clothes everyday maybe we should ask him his story.  His mom may have passed away and his dad is raising him and they don't have the money for new clothes.  Maybe his mom is a single mom and works 2 jobs to pay the bills.  Clothes are extras that they can't afford right now.  Maybe if we tell our children these stories they will empathise with these children and want to be their friend and help them. 

I also believe that there are people out there that want to do good things and want to help.  If you knew Bobby's story would you help him?  Would you help buy him new clothes or dig through the stuff your son has out grown or take groceries to his house? 

Unless you have walked in a person's shoes don't pass judgement on them, ask them to tell you their story.

No comments:

Post a Comment